2020 Writing Competition
The Competition is sponsored by the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum Trust [NGRMT], in conjunction with the 2020 Temporary Exhibition, which celebrates narrow gauge railways depicted in literature.
The judges are looking for an original and imaginative use of English. Entrants are invited to submit any kind of creative writing, including prose, poetry, lyrics and scripts, or a mixture of different genres. We want to be entertained, moved or made to think. Writing could be inspired by exhibits in the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum, but that is not a requirement (although if there is a tie, it might become a factor). If you submit song lyrics, remember that the music will not be judged – just your use of words.
Entries must not exceed 1,500 words.
All entries must be in English [we will accept entries in Welsh or other languages as long as you also provide an English translation].
How to enter:
- All entries must be sent to us using the entry form (also available in the Museum). Please fill in the half of the form that applies to your age group.
- Entries are to be emailed to us at: email@example.com. Please use the title “Competition entry” as the title of your email.
- Postal entries are permitted, addressed to NGRMT Competition, Wharf Station, Tywyn, Gwynedd, LL36 9EY
- All entries must be received by us by the end of Friday, 30th October 2020.
- In submitting material / entries, you agree to the following Terms and Conditions relating to user contributions.
- Although credit will be given to the author, by name and County of residence only, the Museum reserves the right to use any entry for display in the Museum; for promotion of the Museum and engagement with external stakeholders.
- The Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be contacted personally by email.
- The NGRMT does not accept any responsibility for late or lost entries due to the Internet. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt.
- Entrants must supply full details as required on the entry form, and comply with all rules to be eligible for the prize(s). No responsibility is accepted for ineligible entries or entries made fraudulently.
- The NGRMT reserves the right to cancel this competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.
- Entrants will be deemed to have accepted these rules and to agree to be bound by them when entering this competition.
- These rules are governed by the laws of England and Wales.
- This competition is administered by the NGRMT.
- We are unable to return any material submitted by post.
- Entry to the competition is deemed as agreement to the NGRMT holding your personal data. However this will only be used in connection with this competition, and will not be used for marketing purposes.
The winner in each age group will receive a £30 voucher to spend in the Talyllyn Railway shop / café and a certificate. The overall winner will get an additional £20 voucher to spend in the Talyllyn Railway shop / café.
3 runners up in each age category will receive a £10 voucher to spend in the Talyllyn Railway shop / café.
The prize(s) must be taken as stated and cannot be deferred. There will be no cash alternatives.
There are just three categories:
- Under 10-year-olds
- 11 to 17-year-olds
- Adults, 18 and over
Everyone who has entered (along with their family and friends) is invited to come along to a celebration event in the Museum, on Saturday 29th May 2021. If you wish, you can read an extract of your entry at that event. During the event, the Competition winners will be announced and the prizes given. A full list of winners will also be published on the NGRMT website.
Entries that fulfil the criteria may be published on the NGRMT website and / or Friends Newsletter. Winning entries may also feature in an exhibition in the Museum. We also reserve the right to publish entries in a book; we will let you know in advance if this is planned.