2013 sees the 150th anniversary of the opening of the first section of the Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway (AWCR) from Aberdovey through Towyn (as it was then spelt) to Llwyngwril. The AWCR became part of the Cambrian Railways two years later in 1865, the year that the Talyllyn Railway opened to the public. To mark the AWCR anniversary an exhibition is on show in The Narrow Gauge Railway Museum.
The display includes photographs, a history of the Cambrian Coast Line, and a number of historic artefacts including a Totem sign from Towyn Station, a key token from Dovey Junction to Aberdovey, a Llwyngwril to Barmouth Junction wooden train staff and a piece of a pier from the wooden viaduct at Barmouth showing the effect of the attack by marine termites which nearly caused the line’s closure.
Also in the exhibition is a water colour painting by the late Keith Eade showing Tywyn Station in the days when there were two signal boxes, and a copy of the book published by the Cambrian Railways to mark its absorption into the GWR in 1923. This was formerly the property of Cambrian Driver Jones and there is also a photograph of Mr Jones as a 14 year old boy manning the W H Smith News Stand on Machynlleth Station.
Thanks are extended to the many people who have loaned items for this exhibition which will remain open until the end of November 2013.