|TYWRM:RCT001||Rye and Camber Tramway||drawing||Bagnall works drawing of locomotive Camber|
|TYWRM:RCT002||Rye and Camber Tramway||drawing||Bagnall works drawing of locomotive Victoria|
The Rye and Camber Tramway was constructed between January and July 1895 and ran entirely on private land. It was the first designed by consulting engineer Holman F. Stephens, who went on to build and run small railways all over the Country.
The line was built to convey golfers to the Rye Golf Club and ran from Rye station to the golf club. In 1908 the first extension to Camber Sands station was opened and the intermediate station renamed “Golf Links”. Camber terminal was moved to a more accessible site and a tea hut was opened at the end of summer 1938, but this only used for a few months as the war intervened the next year.
The line was in such a run-down a condition by the end of the war that it was deemed irrecoverable and was sold for scrap in 1947. The Rye & Camber Tramways Co. Ltd was liquidated in February 1949.
The line had two locomotives:
Camber, 2-4-0T built 1895 by W.G. Bagnall. Scraped 1947
Victoria, 2-4-0T built 1897 by W.G. Bagnall. Sold 1937
A petrol locomotive also ran on the line from 1924 until 1946.