The Buckley Tramroad was one of several tramways connecting the industrial area of Flintshire to wharves on the River Dee. It was laid down in the late 1780s to carry coal from the mines at Northop Hall, Buckley to Connahs Quay. It followed a meandering route and was always worked by horses.
In 1860 Royal Assent was given to the building of a standard gauge railway from Knowl Lane brick and tile works at Buckley via Northop Hall to Connahs Quay. There it ran onto the docks and to a connection with the London and North Western Railway. The eight mile line was opened on June 7th 1862 effectively replacing the tramroad.
Bricks were henceforth loaded into specially adapted tramway wagons known as shipping boxes. These were run onto the standard gauge wagons at the brickworks and then loaded by crane at Connahs Quay directly onto the ships